Sunday, September 11

A New (School)Year

The fall semester begins today.
May I just say that I am completely freaking out, having an aneurysm, vomiting blood, etc.? My apartment is still a mess if ever I've seen one, and I have no idea what to do. It's death to the max, my friend.

Putting all of this aside, Oakland has once more become a pit of people. It came out of nowhere, I swear. (Check the internal rhyme, yo.)

And of course, the influx of returning/new faces brought with it terrifying traffic and killer road rage if nothing else. As I biker, I encountered several grumpy drivers who seemed to have learned to drive from Mario Kart on the Wii. And I was their mystery item box that they wanted to hit. And I don't know what you think, but smushed Goomba-Vincent is not awesome. Quite the contrary, in fact.
But I can't very well just really blame the students and their families. I don't think that Pittsburgh drivers, just like most city drivers (I know, I know... Your stereotyping senses are tingling), are very considerate. Everyone on the road seems to be in such a rush, and I fear for my life sometimes. Seriously. Out of nowhere, a car will honk at me from behind or drive too close in order to cuss at me. Do they really have nothing better to do?
Anyways, this is a post for another day.
Let's just say that I am so very much ambivalent when it comes to the return of students on campus...

On the one hand, so many beautiful people find their way onto public grounds in various (legal) states of undress.
Oh, stop being a prude; let's be real. Who out of you all doesn't sneak a peek at beautiful sunbathers in bikinis or muscled, frisbee-wielding athletes (whether you prefer none, one, or both examples)?
Seeing all of these attractive people is such a succulent treat for someone who's been on campus during the long and lonely dry spells of the summer, when everyone's on vacation. All that hustle and bustle! I can't complain.
However, I must admit that I'm anything but prepared for a return to my studies. Seriously. My brain is a bowl of stagnant water, gah. I've done nothing intellectual, barring calculating and counting change to return to customers. FAIL.
And I don't feel prepared to have everyone back on campus -- I need to emotionally prepare myself for the exhausting in-and-out encounters with people. Effffffff...
Anyways, I'm off to finish cleaning up my apartment, which looks like it has been personally visited by Hurricane Irene.

Snap and crackle, people. I'll see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...