Monday, May 7

Good Morning, Pittsburgh


I woke up this morning at 5. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to or had planned it, but I found myself unable to sleep anymore.
And so I updated my Facebook status (because, really, what else is someone to do at such an early hour?) and took pictures of the sunrise.

 
It's funny. I had promised myself that I was through with sunrises after seeing too many during the past two semesters, and look at what I did this morning.
But I couldn't go back to sleep, and I've been meaning to take pictures of the sunrise... So I guess it's not so bad.

Click below for more pictures. (They're worth it  -- I promise! Go click it!)




Anyways, I left the apartment and started heading up the hill at Pitt since that's the highest point I know. It was just starting to get light out when I left.

Still pretty dark, eh?

Heading up the hill to Pitt's upper campus.

A giraffe in the stairwell!

I ended up chilling at the top of the Petersen Event Center for a while, just looking at the sky and eating a light breakfast (a handful of animal crackers that I had crammed into a sandwich bag). It never occurred to me to check how cloudy it would be, so I didn't end up getting any pictures of the sun itself. But the clouds were all turning very pretty colors.


After about 15 minutes of chilling out at the top flight of stairs, it started to get brighter.

It was cool and quiet up there, the silence punctuated only by some UPMC staff who headed to work. After a bit of just sitting and enjoying the peaceful early morning, I decided to go home to really start my day.

By the time I headed down Fifth Avenue again, the clouds were beginning to break up.

And I finished off my breakfast with Bimbo bread and a soft-boiled  egg with rosemary, freshly ground pepper, and salt.
 
You know, I had wanted to catch up on the sleep that I didn't get over the weekend (I think I slept a total of nine hours), but I'm glad I did this anyways. (And since I hadn't been able to go back to sleep, it seemed pointless to just stay under the covers.)

Now, I just wish I had a sunrise buddy to go watch sunsets with me.
We could pack blankets, eggs, tea, and bread with us, and we could just watch the sun rise.
That sounds nice, doesn't it? Any takers?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...