Saturday, March 31

Talk Nerdy to Me

I have a confession to make.

Maybe you haven't realized this about me. Maybe I'm good at hiding this.
But I'm going to admit it. I am going to get this thing off my chest.

I'm not a human -- I'm actually a figurine. That is my secret. (I'm kidding, obviously.) 

I am a nerd. Or a geek. Or whatever you would like to call it. (Christina H from cracked.com, for instance, would call me "someone with bad taste," which would have offended me were it not for the fact that a CRACKED writer said it.)

Click to read more.


Yesterday, I presented at Pitt's fifth annual Undergraduate Literature Conference.
Now, one question remains glaringly obvious: WHY would I do this to myself?
Unfortunately, I don't know if I have an answer for you quite yet because I, myself, do not know what caused me to think that this was an okay decision. I suspect that it has something to do with my insanity (which some professors have labeled "an intense motivation to overachieve"), but it remains a topic of much speculation on my part.

Proof! See, see? I'm not making this up! They even gave me a gift certificate. How sweet...

This conference, in addition to the two massive papers that I had due at the end of this month, are the reasons for my transformation into a hermit during March. I, however, will hopefully be reclaiming a little bit of my humanity soon. And by this, I mean that I may finally be able to hang out with friends. And for you, that means that I may have time to do some posts about street style. Finally.

But I'm straying off of the topic that I wanted to discuss. So I presented at the Undergraduate Literature Conference, and my presentation was called "Claiming Equality with Death Gods: Dissemination of Power and Popular Culture in Death Note" in the panel regarding constructions of power. For just a second, let's consider my paper and its implications.
  1. I read Death Note.
    Implication: I read manga.
    Implication: Japanese culture fascinates me.
    BUT LET ME CLARIFY: I'm not interested in any of that weird stuff that many people associate with Japanese enthusiasts.
  2. I enjoy literary criticisms.
    Implication: I enjoy the considerations of political theory, semiotics, gender theory, cultural studies, etc.
    Implication: I love reading the works of intellectuals like Foucault, Nietzsche Freud, Marx, Butler, Lacan, Derrida, Gramsci, etc.
    BUT LET ME CLARIFY: This does not make me a pompous jerk that introduces critical theorists into regular conversations. (There's a time and place for everything.)
  3. I spent my Friday at a literature conference.
    Implication: I love academic activities (despite them constantly stressing me out).
    Implication: I love school.
    BUT LET ME CLARIFY: I love learning, and as a student, schoolwork is my priority. Nevertheless, I am still a human who loves spending time with his friends whenever possible.
And so here is my point: I've realized that by most standards, I'm super nerdy/geeky/whatever.
And, by extension of this, I am hoping that this means exactly what nerd has come to mean in the contemporary context: I am (somewhat) well-rounded and have personal interests. In short, I am (hopefully) a fascinating human who does more than just blog about clothing -- I am someone who, in addition to fashion blogging, loves to read, write, draw, exercise, cook, dream, think, etc.

And what's the point in me telling you this? Well, I'm considering a project which will hopefully present these different facets of me. I admit that I'm very ambitious and tend to get busy or sidetracked. (Case in point: the faux fur that I still have yet to make into clothing. But in my flimsy defense, I haven't had time to sit down at my sewing machine. In contrast, the current project that I'm considering is something that I have been planning during my transit to classes and whenever I need a study break.)

Now, what is this project? Well, you know how secretive I am -- you know that I'm not going to tell you in case it doesn't work out! But you'll hopefully find out soon.
I won't jinx myself by saying that I'll have a ton of free time in April, but I just survived a wave of academic death, which means that I should have a little time before the waters get tumultuous again.
In this time, I hope to get in some serious groundwork for this project. Though I'm a jerk who withholds his plans, I promise to keep you updated. So stick around to see my exciting plans in action!

P. S. Like this on Facebook, follow me on tumblr, or follow me on twitter for easy update notifications!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...